Skip to main content

Just Let Me Poop In Peace

The kids have juice, a snack, fresh diapers and have peed off the deck. They have toys they haven't seen in a while, an episode of Octonauts and phew,  I'm ready. I assume I have more than five, less than eight minutes before I have to be back. I grab my phone and head to the bathroom. I close the door. As soon as I sit down and start to go, Thornado screams. It's not a danger scream, just a warning that he's unhappy. A few seconds later Hank-o-Saurus runs through the hall. Each time he lands the house shakes, then there's Thornado, he's bellowing as he quickly chases his brother and clumsily runs down Hank.

I can tell no one is hurt, but the possibility of a disaster is quickly approaching. I yell from the toilet, "Henrik, you give it back to your brother right now!" Clearly my warning wasn't going to work but it was the best I could do. Thornado starts to roar louder, Hank-o-Sarus has been defeated and starts to moan. The situation has escalated so much that I have no choice but to stop pooping (one of the worst things in the world as I see no chance of a potty break in the next five hours) and calm the storm brewing just outside the bathroom door.

"Just let me poop in peace, boys" I sigh as I redistribute toys and snacks. They look at me with big doe eyes. I just want to poop. Alone. Is that too much to ask? I'm already working a 19 hour day with limited breaks, I already have an open door policy for peeing as I try to encourage the boys to use the potty. I already have to shower with them in the tub or with them locked in the bathroom because I don't trust them to be alone in the house for the twenty-five minutes it takes me to shower, shave and do my hair.

I already have to battle them for counter space when I brush my teeth and soak up the water as they splash around in my toothpaste spit. I'm already gathering up clothes that are thrown from my dresser as I get dressed. I already re-roll the toilet paper as they spin in round and round while I pee, I already make the bed around boys as they jump on it and throw pillows on the floor to make a nest. I already have to have to share everything. Once, every month, can I have a few minutes alone in the bathroom so I can poop? Yes, everyone poops and yes, we are trying to convince our oldest son that the toilet is not the entrance to his worst nightmare, but ohmygod, can I please, have a few minutes of quiet as I try to take a private moment to myself.

I explain to Henrik that I have to poop, he asks if he can come too. I tell him that I'd like to poop alone today, just like he likes to poop in a corner, I prefer to poop by myself on the potty. I ask him to leave his brother alone. He agrees. I change the channel to Barney so that Theo can be occupied for a few minutes while Barney sings and dances and then I slip away again. I sigh, sit down and relax. I hear a knock at the door. "Momma?"

I drop my head. "Yes, Henrik?"
"Mom? Are you pooping?"
"Yes."
"Can I see it?"
"I'm not done yet."
"Can I see it?"

Sigh.

"Sure, when I'm done you can see it."
"Mom? The door is locked, I can't see it."
"I know, Hanky. I'm trying to have some privacy. Can you please wait in the living room until I'm done?"
"Oh, Okay..... Mom?"
I'm defeated. Theo is on his way and starts banging on the door. "Mommy!" he starts to say loudly. The doorknob is furiously twisting, the force on the door is actually impressive.

I'm able to hold them off until I'm done, but as soon as I open the door they literally fall into the bathroom. "Can we see your poop now?" I show them the poop, they both take a look, Theo says, "poop on potty?" I nod. Hank is unimpressed. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? You've got nothing to say now? It's been THIRTY-FIVE FREEKING MINUTES of you obsessing about my poop and you're just going to give a half assed look and then walk away?

I flush. I wash up. Theo pushes his way through my body to get to the soap and water. Water goes everywhere. I turn off the light and place Theo just outside the door. He runs down the hall and starts to play nicely with his brother. I'm left cleaning up water and dreaming of the day they don't care what I'm doing and coming up with a strategy for the next time. I wonder if they'd even notice if I left the door open?

Popular posts from this blog

Father's Day: A note to my Husband

Honey,  As I scramble around trying to find the perfect last minute Father’s Day gift for you, my father, my step-father, and your dad, I realized that for the last three years, your sons haven’t spent Father’s Day with their Dad. I have been with mine- all of mine,  but they haven’t been with theirs. The past three years of our life have been filled with struggle and separation, not due to marriage issues, but due to the military and the fact that sometimes, Dad’s have to be gone. When you are as young as the boys, sometimes that’s hard to understand, but now at age 5, our oldest is starting to figure it out. He often asks where you are or what you are doing. He questions why his dad has to be gone, and I am sure, that when Father’s Day finally arrives, we will have some issues to sort through with them. We’ve already sent the Father’s Day cards, but that was weeks ago to ensure that they arrived on time. But on Sunday, when they see kids with their Dad at the park or see my Dads g

Untitled- Part Two

NOTE: This is an old post, from five years ago and I wanted to honor every woman and man who have felt pain from a miscarriage.  We found out today that I did in fact miscarry.  There aren’t really words to describe how I feel right now: anger, sadness, and exhaustion (both mentally and physically) are just a few of the emotions I’ve gone through these past few hours.  While I still clung on for hope that everything would be okay, I tried to prepare myself for this moment, but you can never really be prepared for the phrase, “complete miscarriage”.  This morning, after my shower, I stood for a long time just looking at myself in the fogged up mirror. I had already been in to the doctor for the lab work and was just waiting for results now. I examined my body up and down trying to figure out where we went wrong. I found nothing. I looked at my tired eyes and my long face trying to find that glimpse of hope that I had a few days ago. There was none. I looked at my bell

Love Handles

I put her in position, undo my bra and readjust her after her excitement of finally having access to milk. She starts to nurse. She calms down.  She takes big gulps and then finds her rhythm. Her breaths get longer and slower, her sucks become more melodious, her hands start their trace of my body. She bangs on my breast, she slides her hand down my chest, she makes her way across my post baby pooch, and ever so gently, those chubby, soft, warm, hands slide across my belly back and forth, back and forth. I chuckle a bit because if anyone else grabbed my stomach I would freak out about them finding my muffin top hang over my pants. With her other hand, she finds my love handles and grabs on as she moves the first hand back up to my breast. We do this four or five times before her hands slow.  I tickle her under her chin to keep her sucking. When it's finally time to switch sides, we do this all again, only she starts by grabbing my love handles. My boys always knocked the milk dow