Skip to main content

Happy Mother's Day



Henrik 5/2/10
A few days days before Mother's Day, at dinner, Henrik announced "Mom's the favorite mom in the world". Theodor then said, "wanna kiss you" and wouldn't take no for an answer. I was proud. I was happy. I know my boys are young and I'm usually the one who makes the cute holiday cards with hand and foot prints, but I wasn't going to do that myself for Mother's Day. So when my boys gave me a surprise compliment, I was thrilled and took that as my gift. 

Later that night, my mom pulled Hank into her bedroom and showed him what he was going to get me for Mother's Day. He came back into the kitchen a few minutes later and we had this cute little exchange:

H: Hey Mom?
A: Yeah, Buddy?
H: We shouldn't tell you you have a necklace on Sunday.
A: OK, don't tell me.
H: I won't.


Theodor 1/21/12
We have been struggling for months to get this kid to do his business on the potty but without a lot of hope, I kind of gave up on #2. But, the day before Mother's Day Henrik surprised me with poop on the potty! I couldn't believe it, I asked him if he had to poop on the potty, he said yes, and we went to the bathroom. I didn't expect it, but we came out of that bathroom celebrating! And who guessed that this was the best Mother's Day gift?! Well, to me, it was better than the impromptu compliments or I love yous. It was like he actually made an effort to do something that would make me happy! I know this because when I praised him for using the potty, I told him how proud I was, and that he was a big boy. And he asked me, "Are you happy?" I of course told him I was and asked if he was happy too. He said he was and gave me a little smile. It was such a proud mommy moment. I couldn't have asked for more.

On Mother's Day I woke up at my parent's house and my Step-Dad said, "Happy Mother's Day" and gave me a hug. I said thank you and went over to the couch. Hank watched us and then exclaimed, "MOM! It's your day!" I said, Yes, it is!" There was a pause and then Steve nudged Hanky. "Henrik, is there something you wanted to say to your mom?" Henrik looked at me, cocked his head, smiled and then said, "You're welcome". 

I just laughed. Yes, without him I wouldn't have ever become a mother. I wouldn't have sat on bedrest for 13 weeks while we tried to keep him cooking. I wouldn't have been in labor, yelling at my husband who opened a granola bar when the doctor announced that it was time to push. Without Theodor I wouldn't have been walking around 10 days past my due date trying to knock the baby loose, or suffered horrible back labor because he was sunny-side up. I wouldn't have had the joy of delivering a baby naturally and I wouldn't have been able to sit back and watch them learn, discover and enjoy life.

With My Boys

I think it's pretty clear that being a mom is no easy task. The hours are long, there is no pay, but the rewards are miraculous. I think you can never really appreciate the work your mom does until you become one and experience the sleepless nights, the tears, the joys and the successes of your children. I am proud to be a mom, I'm proud and honored to have two wonderful mothers who have helped me become an amazing mother to my children. 

With My Step-Mother, Anna

With My Mother, Deb
I hope you all took some time today to say Thank you to your mom for all of their hard work throughout the years, and maybe give them a little "you're welcome" after all, they wouldn't have become a mom without you. 

Happy Mother's Day



Popular posts from this blog

Father's Day: A note to my Husband

Honey,  As I scramble around trying to find the perfect last minute Father’s Day gift for you, my father, my step-father, and your dad, I realized that for the last three years, your sons haven’t spent Father’s Day with their Dad. I have been with mine- all of mine,  but they haven’t been with theirs. The past three years of our life have been filled with struggle and separation, not due to marriage issues, but due to the military and the fact that sometimes, Dad’s have to be gone. When you are as young as the boys, sometimes that’s hard to understand, but now at age 5, our oldest is starting to figure it out. He often asks where you are or what you are doing. He questions why his dad has to be gone, and I am sure, that when Father’s Day finally arrives, we will have some issues to sort through with them. We’ve already sent the Father’s Day cards, but that was weeks ago to ensure that they arrived on time. But on Sunday, when they see kids with their Dad at the park or see my Dads g

Love Handles

I put her in position, undo my bra and readjust her after her excitement of finally having access to milk. She starts to nurse. She calms down.  She takes big gulps and then finds her rhythm. Her breaths get longer and slower, her sucks become more melodious, her hands start their trace of my body. She bangs on my breast, she slides her hand down my chest, she makes her way across my post baby pooch, and ever so gently, those chubby, soft, warm, hands slide across my belly back and forth, back and forth. I chuckle a bit because if anyone else grabbed my stomach I would freak out about them finding my muffin top hang over my pants. With her other hand, she finds my love handles and grabs on as she moves the first hand back up to my breast. We do this four or five times before her hands slow.  I tickle her under her chin to keep her sucking. When it's finally time to switch sides, we do this all again, only she starts by grabbing my love handles. My boys always knocked the milk dow

Veteran's Day

  I have to admit, nine years ago I didn't understand the importance of this day. I understood the word Veteran in the most vague of terms and figured that it probably meant more to my step-dad, uncles and grandparents. In fact, I didn't really even understand the military, where I'm from, there are no active duty bases, and the military community of reservists was small, so, I couldn't understand why people would sign up for war. In fact, I was so niave that I thought that being in the mlitary meant that you were just signing up for war. I didn't understand the military spouse, the 50s style language of "honor" and "service" to ones spouse and country, and why so many of them stayed at home with their children instead of working. And of course, I could never understand the sacrifice of what it means to be "military".  Sure, I'd seen war movies, I'm a history major: I've read testimonials, books and papers, and I've un