Skip to main content

Oh, Great... Another Blogger



Yes, I’m following the trend of having a blog. Why? Do I have fashion tips? Amazing crafts for kids? Can I make you a better photographer? Do I have travel advice? No. None of those things. I’m here because I wanted to honestly portray my life. I used to have a blog before the .me accounts ended and it mostly was an update for our family so they could stay in touch with us as we lived in California and North Dakota. Is this blog still that? Kind of.  I wanted a place where I could share my life. No, you’re not going to get intimate details of my relationship with my husband, but you’ll get honesty about a military/newish marriage. You’ll get some of my daily life adventures and updates from my family, and you’ll probably hear some funny things that my kids say or do. 

It's very likely that you'll hear some frustrations I have as a mother and a wife, but it's not a place to complain. It's a place where I share, you listen, you share, we all listen. I've been thinking a lot about mortality, probably because my mother has breast cancer, and while she's got great odds, I just have been thinking about my mom and myself as a mother. I don't have a lot to offer in terms of crafts and gifts, I do make an amazing halloween costume and I'll pass on a trillion pictures, but I want my boys to know who they are and where they came from. I want them to know that their parents had a really rough patch when we found out we were moving to North Dakota. I want them to know that their parents hated one another for a few months during and after the flood. I want them to know that their parents do love one another an have fought hard to keep our marriage successful. I want them to know that they make me want to have a glass of wine and about eight bars of chocolate every night. And I want them to know that my heart melts when they give me hugs, it skips a beat when they fall and I'm more excited than they are when the accomplish even the smallest task. Sure, I could hand write a diary, but I'd prefer to type. I could keep this private, but why? Aren't we all creatures of the social network anyway? I'm pretty sure I'll dread the day I see my sons' Facebook accounts, and I know they'll never friend me because I have WAY too many photos of them on mine. 

But more importantly, I want this to be a place where we can all talk and learn about one another. We all have struggles as a parent. We all have pains in our relationships, why not talk about them? To me, honestly and open minded conversations are the only way we can really deal with something. When I miscarried a baby two Easters ago, I didn't know what to do. I had all of these emotions and feelings, but I didn't know how to approach it with my friends who didn't have children. I didn't know how to say to my mother that I felt like a failure and I sure as heck didn't know what to say to my dad, but I wanted a hug. So, I wrote a "Note" on Facebook and published it thinking that if people wanted to know why I had slipped off the face of the earth for a minute then they would know. You wouldn't believe the responses. "Likes", private messages, and comments from so many people made me realize that I wasn't alone.

That's why I want to share this with all of you. There really is no point to this blog. I'm going to write about me and my family. I'm going to tell you my life. We all have kids, we all know the sleepless nights, the tantrums at the store and the giggles in the bathtub but here's my side of the story.





Popular posts from this blog

Father's Day: A note to my Husband

Honey,  As I scramble around trying to find the perfect last minute Father’s Day gift for you, my father, my step-father, and your dad, I realized that for the last three years, your sons haven’t spent Father’s Day with their Dad. I have been with mine- all of mine,  but they haven’t been with theirs. The past three years of our life have been filled with struggle and separation, not due to marriage issues, but due to the military and the fact that sometimes, Dad’s have to be gone. When you are as young as the boys, sometimes that’s hard to understand, but now at age 5, our oldest is starting to figure it out. He often asks where you are or what you are doing. He questions why his dad has to be gone, and I am sure, that when Father’s Day finally arrives, we will have some issues to sort through with them. We’ve already sent the Father’s Day cards, but that was weeks ago to ensure that they arrived on time. But on Sunday, when they see kids with their Dad at the park or see my Dads g

Love Handles

I put her in position, undo my bra and readjust her after her excitement of finally having access to milk. She starts to nurse. She calms down.  She takes big gulps and then finds her rhythm. Her breaths get longer and slower, her sucks become more melodious, her hands start their trace of my body. She bangs on my breast, she slides her hand down my chest, she makes her way across my post baby pooch, and ever so gently, those chubby, soft, warm, hands slide across my belly back and forth, back and forth. I chuckle a bit because if anyone else grabbed my stomach I would freak out about them finding my muffin top hang over my pants. With her other hand, she finds my love handles and grabs on as she moves the first hand back up to my breast. We do this four or five times before her hands slow.  I tickle her under her chin to keep her sucking. When it's finally time to switch sides, we do this all again, only she starts by grabbing my love handles. My boys always knocked the milk dow

Untitled- Part Two

NOTE: This is an old post, from five years ago and I wanted to honor every woman and man who have felt pain from a miscarriage.  We found out today that I did in fact miscarry.  There aren’t really words to describe how I feel right now: anger, sadness, and exhaustion (both mentally and physically) are just a few of the emotions I’ve gone through these past few hours.  While I still clung on for hope that everything would be okay, I tried to prepare myself for this moment, but you can never really be prepared for the phrase, “complete miscarriage”.  This morning, after my shower, I stood for a long time just looking at myself in the fogged up mirror. I had already been in to the doctor for the lab work and was just waiting for results now. I examined my body up and down trying to figure out where we went wrong. I found nothing. I looked at my tired eyes and my long face trying to find that glimpse of hope that I had a few days ago. There was none. I looked at my bell