Skip to main content

The B Word

You can I can probably think of some pretty good insulting names that start with the letter B. But in the minds of children, those words don't exist, and even more importantly, their B word is MORE of an insult than the ones adults choose to use.

How could this word exist in their language and view of the world? Where do they hear it and why is it so debilitating? What exactly is this word that brings children age two to eight to tears when they are called it?

Baby.


I remember a few months ago when our oldest son was called "baby" by some of his classmates. He was angry, upset and didn't know how to respond except to start calling them a baby back. His teacher stepped in and got him to calm down and insisted he wasn't a baby at all. Later that day, we discussed the word and what it meant to be an actual baby, and why someone might call you that as something mean. Hank insisted he wasn't acting like a baby when he was called that word, and he vowed to not call others that word because it would make them feel sad, just like he was. Seems like problem solved, right?

Wrong.

This incident happened before he turned four, and as the last child to turn four in his class it was easy to use this word to insult kids who are always comparing and competing against each other. But that's not all, it was so insulting and frustrating to Henrik because as an almost four year old he was striving each day to be bigger, do more, to do things for himself, to grow taller, and to be four. Three year olds have this challenge, they have a pass for the first half of the year, they just turned three, you know. But at their three and a half mark, they are striving for more, and should be; cognitively, mentally and physically the three and a  half year old body starts to change. Four means you aren't a baby. You are no longer a toddler, you probably don't wear diapers or pull-ups full time, you become a pre-schooler, you can start to have more freedom and more responsibility.

But, in this toddler/pre-school world of day care, staying home with mom, play dates and outings, these children are still in a world that heavily revolves around actual babies. Pregnant women surround them. Newborns and older siblings are a common sighting. Their days are filled with comments like, "Look! There's baby Dillon" or "Say hi to baby Amelia" or, "Be careful around the baby". But the problem worsens when you have a youngest child in the family who was refereed to as "Baby Theo" for most of the older child's ability to recall and remember. When that "baby" in the family turns two, the family dynamic changes drastically.

The youngest child has no desire to be the baby any more. They strive to be like their older sibling and their peers. In our case, our baby never wanted to be a baby. He insists that he's three even though he's not quite two and a half. He rides bikes and plays with older kids, and of course, now that he's been potty training heavily for the last month and a half, he doesn't want to wear a pull-up for a nap or an outing. He insists he is big and NOT a baby. He wants undies. Always. Like a big kid.

Just the other day, I was snuggling my boys and having a nice cuddle with them when I said to Theo, "I love you, baby".  "I'M NOT A BABY" he angrily replied. His face turned red, he gritted his teeth and clenched his fists, "I'M A BIG BOY. I WEAR UNDIES AND I POOPED ON THE POTTY!" I quickly realized my mistake. "You're right, Theo. You ARE a big boy. You do some amazing big boy things and I am SO proud of you for using the potty and wearing undies. You are NOT a baby, but you are my baby." I thought I made it clear, but no. He looked at me stunned like, "you just said I wasn't a baby and now you're telling me I am a baby again". Again, I realized my mistake. I took a deep breath and tried again. "A long time ago, you were in my tummy, you were a baby. And once you came out, you started to grow. And grow, and grow, and grow." Both boys started to smile. They were making the connection. "When you guys turned two, you started turning into boys and now, here you are! Big! Doing wonderful things. And when our new baby comes, it will be the baby and you two will be the Big and Biggest Brothers".

They seemed to relax now as they started to talk about all of the things they were going to do for the new baby.  I let out a mental sigh of relief. I couldn't believe how big of a mistake I'd made. I knew that Theo got upset when his brother said that he wasn't big enough to do something like play with little Legos, or stay up instead of take a nap. But I didn't want to be the cause of his anger. And, when I use the word baby, I purely mean it out of love and affection, and probably some nostalgic part of me wants to keep them babies forever. I never mean it like the insult they believe it is.

Popular posts from this blog

Father's Day: A note to my Husband

Honey,  As I scramble around trying to find the perfect last minute Father’s Day gift for you, my father, my step-father, and your dad, I realized that for the last three years, your sons haven’t spent Father’s Day with their Dad. I have been with mine- all of mine,  but they haven’t been with theirs. The past three years of our life have been filled with struggle and separation, not due to marriage issues, but due to the military and the fact that sometimes, Dad’s have to be gone. When you are as young as the boys, sometimes that’s hard to understand, but now at age 5, our oldest is starting to figure it out. He often asks where you are or what you are doing. He questions why his dad has to be gone, and I am sure, that when Father’s Day finally arrives, we will have some issues to sort through with them. We’ve already sent the Father’s Day cards, but that was weeks ago to ensure that they arrived on time. But on Sunday, when they see kids with their Dad at the park or see my Dads g

Untitled- Part Two

NOTE: This is an old post, from five years ago and I wanted to honor every woman and man who have felt pain from a miscarriage.  We found out today that I did in fact miscarry.  There aren’t really words to describe how I feel right now: anger, sadness, and exhaustion (both mentally and physically) are just a few of the emotions I’ve gone through these past few hours.  While I still clung on for hope that everything would be okay, I tried to prepare myself for this moment, but you can never really be prepared for the phrase, “complete miscarriage”.  This morning, after my shower, I stood for a long time just looking at myself in the fogged up mirror. I had already been in to the doctor for the lab work and was just waiting for results now. I examined my body up and down trying to figure out where we went wrong. I found nothing. I looked at my tired eyes and my long face trying to find that glimpse of hope that I had a few days ago. There was none. I looked at my bell

Love Handles

I put her in position, undo my bra and readjust her after her excitement of finally having access to milk. She starts to nurse. She calms down.  She takes big gulps and then finds her rhythm. Her breaths get longer and slower, her sucks become more melodious, her hands start their trace of my body. She bangs on my breast, she slides her hand down my chest, she makes her way across my post baby pooch, and ever so gently, those chubby, soft, warm, hands slide across my belly back and forth, back and forth. I chuckle a bit because if anyone else grabbed my stomach I would freak out about them finding my muffin top hang over my pants. With her other hand, she finds my love handles and grabs on as she moves the first hand back up to my breast. We do this four or five times before her hands slow.  I tickle her under her chin to keep her sucking. When it's finally time to switch sides, we do this all again, only she starts by grabbing my love handles. My boys always knocked the milk dow