Skip to main content

Travel: Part Three, The Cabin

Our last destination on our whirlwind week of travel was to Eric's parent's cabin. They've owned it a few Summers but since we lived in North Dakota it was not on our list of places to stop by for the weekend. And when we came home to Michigan, we wouldn't put it on our list of stops because all three sets of parents live in a 30 mile radius so driving five or so hours didn't make much sense.

This was a trip that I was unsure about, and I have to be careful how I say this because in no way is this a bashing blog and I absolutely do not want this taken out of context, but what I can say is that I was worried about jealousy, competition and stepping on toes. I was worried about hurt feelings, jokes taken the wrong way or pokes turning into wounds. I was worried that grandparents would overrule parents, that Eric and I would have different rules and expectations for our kids than his sister and her husband would have for theirs.

The last time the Ehn family all got together was nine years ago. We were younger, unmarried and honestly, really close, good friends. Then, something happened. I'm not sure what, and I'm not sure I'm free of fault, but in those nine years, two dogs, three kids, thousands of miles of distance and boat loads of crap in between, something happened that caused doubt that this would be a good trip. I know no family is perfect and all families have some kind of feud or issue they just ignore when they are all together (please tell me we're not the only ones), heck, even the Brady Bunch and the Barones had at least one of the problems I've mentioned.
The Ehn Family 9 years ago

I wanted very much for this to be a good trip, I have really fond memories of going to my Grandparent's cabin when I was a little kid. I wanted my boys and their cousin to have just as much fun together at their Grandparent's cabin. *Yes, I do remember my previous post about wants for our children* I wanted to want to make this a regular trip where I'd sit at the picnic table laughing over a drink and Rummy with my sister-in-law (SIL) and mother-in-law. I wanted to go fishing with all of us in the boat, float on the water, and sit by the fire for way to long each night. I wanted to leave the cabin feeling refreshed and wanting more.

My MIL was trying SO hard to make this a good weekend. She was overly accepting and accommodating. She packed toys for the boys, took care in getting family safe bug spray and sunscreen. She got the food the boys liked, the wine I drink and even bought brownies for me so we could celebrate my birthday. In return I asked her what the cabin rules were, what the expectations were and how they managed chores up there. I wanted to make it just as easy on her as she was making it for us.

We got there a day before my SIL and her family got there, it was kind of an opening everything up day at the cabin since we were first to arrive but I have to admit, having my in laws all to ourselves was, well, wonderful. It was a reconnecting time for us. Our boys got to enjoy their grandparents who glistened just like the lake. I've never, in the whole twelve years I've known them, seen them this happy. And, it's true what they say, a smile is pretty contagious.

The next morning, Henrik woke up and asked if his cousin was there. When those were the first words out of his mouth I knew that whatever else happened, we needed this trip to be wonderful for the kids. And I am 100% confident that we did. We went boating, played in the lake, checked in at a cattle ranch, played outdoors, had campfires, s'mores, and daily family concerts. We cooked and cleaned, played and worked, it was better than the Brady Bunch. I laughed and had fun, yes, FUN with my SIL and MIL. I got to see my father-in-law in a way I'd never seen him, he was a hero to his grandsons and a best friend. I got to have my boys snuggle up to their grandma and aunt and I got to spend some good quality time with my nephew.

It was as if we all were on our best behavior, but not on eggshells. We respected one another, ignored annoyances, accommodated needs and helped one another during meals, with chores, through bath time, getting kids wrangled for a campfire and taking them fishing. It was as if we forgave the past even though it wasn't mentioned.

I hope I'm not the only one who had a wonderful weekend, I hope that there are many more of these to come. I hope that we can look back on this weekend and see that even if we don't agree on everything, then we can at least respect one another and move forward.

When I look back on this weekend and as I place pictures from the trip in the boys' photo album, I will remember a few things. First, I was wrong. I wasn't wrong to have those worries, but I was wrong to assume that the trip would be more work than play. I was wrong to think that this trip was a "giving in because I'm nice and it means a lot to everyone" experience. How snobby am I? Everyone had to work hard to make this a good trip and everyone had to be on their best behavior and you know why? Because we're all better than the way we were acting.

Second, I'll remember that this was the best time my boys have had with the Ehns. Because we were in my in-law's place, and they were in their element up in the U.P, they were completely different people. This was their home, this was their pride and I got to really understand better who they were and why. Because of that, my boys got to truly experience their grandparents and everything that they love. They got to go fishing, look out at the lake from the dock, go boating and rowing and get snuggled in for the night. My boys had a new respect for them too, they are just too little to know it yet, but I saw it in their eyes.

Third, I don't know what happened between all of us so many years ago. But I don't care any more. I'm not saying that we won't have an issue in the future, but what I am saying is that I will make it known to my in-laws that whatever I did in the past that hurt them, I'm sorry. And from now on, I will take that first trip to their cabin as a restart and remember how great we can all be when we want to. I'm doing it for me, my husband and my kids. I'll remember my MIL's smile that lasted three days, her larger than life smile when I asked her if she was still happy and enjoying a chaotically wonderful weekend with her family, her at peace smile when we sat around the fire joked with one another, and her proud smile as she took me on a rowboat tour of the lake.

Ehn Family Today
It's not hard to make someone happy, but happiness is best when can share it with someone else and that is exactly what this trip did for all of us and I'm thrilled that I got to have the opportunity to finally get up North to the Cabin.






Popular posts from this blog

The Life of a Military Kid- The PCS

Just when you think military kids are resilient, something comes their way and they are once again put to the test, up to the challenge without a choice, that society and yes, even military parents, put on them. They go from being comfortable and confident in who they are and where they belong, to feeling lost, afraid and confused. And while being resilient is the thing they are called most, most of them are like a duck in water, like most of their parents, playing it cool on the surface, but scrambling to find ground to stand on. This year, our military kids are being put to the test once again, and during the Month of the Military Child too. They are going through a PCS or a Permanent Change of Station, and, in our experience, a PCS doesn't mean moving from door to door, it means a month of change, driving and living out of a suitcase. We are open with our kids, they knew when we knew that we were going to move. They knew that it was still far off. They knew that we had to pi...

Tales From The Crib

I was challenged to write a blog about my "Tales From The Crib" by the folks at Dropcam To learn more about camera and their competition for the best stories from the crib contact Tiffany at:  tpham@dropcam.com Several months ago I wrote this blog about our family and our sleep schedule. It was a hard time for our family: we were in transit from living as a family of four to moving in with my parents for a few months while my husband was away. Now that we're back as a family of four, we've had to figure out how to become a family again, and how to make schedules work, how to include dad in our lives again, and how to transition two children (not in cribs) into a new room with new beds in a new place. It wasn't easy. Right off the bat my husband took over bedtime, honestly, it was a huge relief. I had been tired of putting these kids to bed night, after night, after night. By the end of the day I was just exhausted, and to have a bedtime fight or strugg...

Happy Mother's Day

Dear Henrik, Theodor, and Elinor, When you wake, it will be Mother's Day. Despite your best efforts to let me sleep in and to shower me with the most beautiful glitter creation in all the land, this day isn't really about me. I've wanted, and waited, for this day to be about me for 7 years. And, to be honest, I've dreamt about a night away from you all to celebrate in solitude, in front of trashy TV, a bottle of wine, and some chocolate while cheering my self on because you're all still alive. But this year, after seeing the lack of build up and prep, I've finally figured it out. It's never about me... it probably won't ever be about me. I 've longed for a day where I could sleep in past 6 AM. I've hoped for a day with no fighting, a trip to the grocery store or even the bathroom by myself, mimosas all day, massages or even a mani/pedi, and, most importantly nothing to pick up or clean, no laundry to put away, and a day without saying, ...